When it’s time for your dental cleaning and checkup, it’s important to make an appointment and go every time. When you arrive, a teeth cleaning specialist will do a comprehensive, professional cleaning of your teeth. This is done in two stages- descaling and polishing. Both of these steps together keep you from having plaque and tartar build-up over time. With teeth cleaning tartar removal is done with the right teeth cleaning equipment. Their teeth cleaning supplies are designed to help your teeth and not to damage them.

After this tooth cleaning, your dentist will see you and do a checkup of your teeth. Family dentists are important for the health of everyone in the family. Going to a family practice can ensure that you can make convenient appointments when multiple family members can see the dentist. With more convenient appointments available, it is much easier to make sure that everyone in the family is able to go and see the dentist at least twice a year. Appointments for cleaning and checkups are made every six months, but you may need to see the dentist in between these dates if you have any treatments that need to be done.

Finding the right family dentist doesn’t have to be as stressful as it seems. Sure, you want to make sure the kids are just as happy as you when it comes to going to the dentist, but don’t fret over how to find a great, affordable dentist.

Why you need a family dentist: Just as many people have a family doctor or lawyer, you should have a dentist as well. Undergoing routine dental care can drastically reduce the odds of your family members developing tooth decay or gum disease. Gum disease is the most common cause of tooth loss among adults, but simple brushing and flossing can be a great preventative method. Tooth decay, on the other hand, is a very serious condition and it four times more common than asthma in teens aged 14 to 17 years old.

What to expect from a family dentist: Nearly 80% of dentists are general practitioners (what you should be looking for!), while the other 20% are dental specialists who limit their practices to specialty areas. A family dentist office should provide you with general dentistry services such as fluoride treatments, X-Rays, polishing, etc. Some offices may offer sedation dentistry for those who need a root canal procedure or gum treatment.

Starting the dentist search:

  • A good dentist should have a great reputation in your local area, so ask your friends, neighbors, and work buddies if they have any suggestions.
  • Your local pharmacist or that family doctor of yours can be another resource who can easily make great recommendations for you and your family. After all, they need to head to the dentist too.
  • Conduct an internet search, flip through the Yellow Pages, listen to the radio, watch TV ads, read the newspaper — anything that provides information will likely yield results when it comes to finding a great dentist.
  • If you’re desperate, contact your state or local dental association. The American Dental Association has a list of dental offices categorized by state, region, and town.
  • If you are moving to a new area but are still within the state, it could be a good idea to ask your current dentist if they know of any great dentists in the new area.

After compiling a list of seven to 10 dentists, it is time to narrow things down a bit. Start working the phone and ask family dentist offices what their working hours are, what type of services they provide (can they do dental implants?), and whether or not they are kid friendly.

After narrowing the list down to three or five places, go ahead and make a physical appearance. Drop by before you schedule an appointment to get the lay of the land. Is the office clean and orderly? Is the staff nice? Do they seem professional and do they make you feel welcome? Check out the technology they have; updated technology could mean a higher cost, but a smoother procedure.

After this step, you’re free to make your choice. Find more on this topic here.