If you are losing your hair, you are by no means alone. There are at least 35 million American men who are either bald or have lost some of their hair. Two-thirds of all men in the United States have some degree of appreciable hair loss by the time they reach the age of 32. That number skyrockets to 85% for men who are 50 years old or more. A man can lose half of their hair before it is something that other people can notice. For the people who link their hair to their self esteem, the cost of a hair transplant is well worth it.
Hair transplant surgery has come a long way but there are still some basic things you can do to make the experience better and improve the way you feel about it. Here are some tips to make sure you still think the cost of a hair transplant was worth it when the process is over.
- Do not use chemical treatments on your hair.andnbsp;Your hair transplant specialist will advise you not to color treat your hair for at least a few weeks prior to the procedure. You should listen to this advice. The chemicals in these treatments are harsh and can make your scalp more sensitive. There is a reason the people at the hair transplant clinic recommend this so you should follow this advice. It will be well worth it in the long run. They will probably also ask that you refrain from these treatments for at least four weeks after your procedure.
- Do not go home and wash your hair. The day after your hair transplant surgery you should have a follow up appointment with the hair transplant clinic. They will wash and dry your hair there and give you detailed instructions for the best ways to care for your scalp afterwards. Your doctor will look over your scalp and the instructions will be tailored to you so you should follow them closely.
- Start washing normally after seven days. One week after a hair restoration, you will be ready for you to resume washing with your normal hair care products. It is still advised to be gentle with your scalp as it is still healing but you can wash and dry it the way you did before the hair transplant surgery.
- Take it easy for a bit. Do not go to the gym after your hair transplant procedure. First of all, if the cost of a hair transplant was not enough to remind you that it is surgery, your body may tell you. You may be tired afterwards. It is a long procedure. It can take eight hours. Most people are advised to take it easy for at least a week. Your body needs time to heal and that takes rest. Make this an excuse to pamper yourself. Stock up on you favorite food and binge watch Netflix. When else is this something you can get away with doing?
- Avoid things that make you sweat. Exercise is the first on that list. Eating really spicy foods is another. The more you sweat from your scalp, the greater the chances are that it can become infected and that is a bad thing for anyone, especially men who have undergone a hair transplant procedure. This also means going out in the sun and spending time in a steam room or sauna are bad ideas.
- Elevate your head. Elevating your head can prevent any additional swelling or bruising on your scalp. The area will be somewhat bruised due to the procedure itself but elevating it will help limit the swelling and bruising. If you have a recliner, you may want to sleep in that the first night. Otherwise, using a few pillows is the next best thing.
- Take care of any scarring you have. You may have the best hair transplant surgeon on the planet but there will still be some amount of scarring after a hair transplant surgery. You should get special medications from the hair transplant clinic. Make sure you use them as directed.
Most men find the cost of a hair transplant is worth it, these tips will help you share that view.